Saturday, April 28, 2012

Claire - April 28, 1774

Dear Diary,

Today was a normal day again. Life goes on without our dear Mother, yet yesterday we all felt sadness inside. The Lord enables us to go on.

In any event, hardly a day goes by in this unmanageable household with out some adventures. Yesterday, Kat, to my great dismay, brought home a mangy, wet kitten from heaven knows where! I must confess that I scolded her well for rambling in the rain and for bringing that muddy creature into the beautiful kitchen which Vanna and Jacob had just scrubbed. I do hate to scold any of my sisters, but you really must see, diary, there was just cause! 

Well, to continue, last night I had a horrible nightmare. I dreamed a ferocious wolf was eating my flesh! I awoke to the darkness in a cold sweat. Suddenly, something bit me. A scream escaped me and both Kat and Vanna awoke. It was then that we realized that that thing had come into our bed! Kat's kitten was sitting at the end of the bed biting my very toes with a vengeance! Kat rebuked the creature and put it in the kitchen where it belonged. Vanna however, let out a loud sigh. "Oh my! That thing was supposed to bite Kat's toes! It is a shame, a real shame. I suppose that I'll have to tell Jacob in the morning." So I concluded that the whole plot was Vanna's plan to repay Kat for the long afternoon we spent caring for the kitten yesterday. "Vanna," said I, " Robert will be quite angry when he finds out."  But he hasn't found out, yet. However, if he did I am certain he would have them punished. He abhors undisciplined lives and he hates it when we mistreat one another. Since Vanna and Jacob, fall into both of those categories, Robert sees no end of disciplining when Father leaves him in charge. Of course he means well, and to the rest of us, Robert is everything one could ask for in a brother. 
I am incredibly weary now, for many things were needed to be done today. The room grows dim, and I shan't waste a candle. 
The room is dim
The weariness of twilight
The night is falling
Good Night, Diary.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment