Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Claire - May 8, 1774

Dear Diary,
Today, after a long, tiring, three day carriage drive, we finally arrived in New York. Oh, how ever so glad I was to see my dear, dear grandparents at long last! I haven't seen their loving faces since we first came to the Colonies four years ago. At that time, we arrived at New York's harbor, weary and overwhelmed by grief, for Mother had just died on that terrible voyage. Now, indeed we are well, yet saddened by having to part with Father, Jacob, Robert, and dear Williamsburg. Grandfather and Grandmother, Mother's parents, have taken us into their hearts, and we feel safe and loved. They are Loyalists, yet disagreements are not hindrances with our kin. Mother once told of how, back in London, a relative of ours got into a hot argument with Grandfather. Nevertheless, Grandfather, gave him a gorgeous horse on his birthday. So, is it now. I believe Father and Grandfather get along splendidly. 
 Writing of this makes me miss my Father deeply. I believe I am homesick. I am not accustomed to the finery of my wealthy Grandparents home. Servants all around to do the work.  Beautiful gowns must be worn to supper every night.  Kat hates it. Vanna loves it. And I? I just miss good old Williamsburg. I desperately want a floor to scrub. I want a chicken to cook. And to really cook this time!
Oh, Father take us home! How I love my grandparents. But even so take me home.
claire.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment