Thursday, June 28, 2012

Claire~ June 28, 1774

Dear Diary,
Why? That is the question we all are asking ourselves now. Father writes that Robert is missing. Jacob too. He writes that they ran away. But, I ask myself, why? Father writes they were to come here. But, day after day for more than two weeks we have watched and waited. How can I believe they are coming, when for days they have not appeared? Why? Why would the travel long and far to come here? Where are they?
My heart is overwhelmed. My mind is boggled by questions. I have not been able to write, and even now the script is blurred by my tears. Grandmother is ill. She cannot bear to have her two grandsons- nay, I shan’t write it.  Grandfather seems worried, but he plods on.
Kat is a shadow of her former self. She is pale and thin, and her sunny face no longer smiles upon our house. I know that although she resented Robert’s sternness and teased Jacob persistently, she loved them both like the dear sister she is. Grandfather says I have dark rings beneath my eyes, but how can anyone sleep when their only brothers are missing on this great continent?
Only Vanna has faith in her brothers. She confidently believes they are well and will be alright.  I saw the pain in the look on her face when she heard the news from Grandfather. I had been standing outside in the hall when it was broken to her. Since then, however, she has held up her head and refused to think they are anything other than safe.
We can now only pray to Lord that they are well. Oh! How we all wish th-

Dear Diary,
Earlier I wrote that mournful piece with my heart full of sadness and foreboding. As I did so, a great commotion arose down the stairs. I raced down to find the whole family, even the servants, pouring over a letter from Father. It read:
                                                      June 28, 1774
My dear family,
I am delighted to say that Robert and Jacob have been found. I write this with exultation and displeasure. Yesterday, I found Robert with the Virginia Militia here in Williamsburg. I had a heated conversation with him. He told me that he had run away to join the militia so that he would be prepared to fight for freedom. Of course, I would be proud to have any son of mine fight for our independence, yet Robert is only sixteen. He is too young to be a soldier. I bluntly told him so, yet he refused to leave and said that he had  signed up with the age of eighteen.  I could not get him to leave, so there he stays now. When I asked him where Jacob was he replied, “Jacob longed for sea adventure. I deposited him on a ship bound for Liverpool. He’ll be working as a cabin boy.”  I couldn’t believe my ears. Robert will not come home, and Jacob is somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic! I hope you are all are happy to know that they are safe. I am too, and yet, I am not.
                              Lovingly,
                                    Your Father, or
                                                Robert Hillman
It is late now, and I am weary. Kat is jealous of our daring brothers. Vanna is dismayed, for she knows that Jacob might now be sailor for good.
And I? I am just a jumble of emotions.
View photo in message

No comments:

Post a Comment