Thursday, August 16, 2012

Claire ~ August 16, 1774


Dear Diary,



Life lately has entirely changed its course. My sisters and I have adjusted to the finery filled life at our grandparents’ wealthy home here in New York. Now, however events are beginning to alter, and I don’t know when another change shall occur.

Last week, our dear father came to visit us. He reported that he has managed to get back in business, despite the fact that he refuses to sell tea. According to father, the shop is doing very well. With the extra money he has been earning, he bought each of us gifts. He said that in a few more weeks, once the store is really booming once more, he shall take us back home to live with him. I think that he misses his “dear little girls”.



Two days after Father left, a tall, ruddy boy with sandy colored hair was ushered into the front parlor where the whole family was sitting.

“I tried to send him away, but he insisted,” the maid explained.

The boy shifted nervously. “Don’t you know me?” He asked. It was then that Vanna jumped up and threw her arms around the boy’s sun tanned neck

“Jacob!” She cried. Then, we all rushed to him, peppering him with questions and smothering him with our hugs. His ship was stopping in New York City before embarking to the West Indies. He had decided to pay a brief visit.



It was only the night before he was to leave  that I was able to speak with him. I found him alone in the parlor and deep in thought. I seated myself silently in a chair beside him.

He looked up, “Claire,” he said. “What does father think?”

I knew what Jacob meant. “He is very disappointed.” I replied soberly. He sighed, and stared at the ceiling.

“And Vanna?”

Did I dare tell him the truth? Yes, as my motherless brother’s oldest sister, I must.

“She cried, Jacob. She cried, when Father wrote to tell of what you had done. I cried. We are all disappointed in you. I am ashamed of you, Jacob”

Now, his head was in his hands.

“Mother would have been sorry. She wanted her children to be godly servants of Christ. How would she have felt if she had known? You have disobeyed Father by running away. You have joined up with men of bad influence. I can see already you have taken up evil ways. Don’t forsake the Bible! Don’t you love Jesus, Jacob? Don’t go back!”

He looked straight at me. “I was wrong to go.”

“You broke our hearts.” I said softly. There was long silence, unbroken for minutes. I could hear Jacob’s breathing and the sound of my beating heart.

“Will Father forgive me?”

“I am sure of it, as will the rest of us. As will God.”

Silence again.

“Forgive me, Claire. I will not go.”

He rose and left the room.

Vanna and Jacob have returned to their former mischievous ways. I know she is happier than the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment