Thursday, August 9, 2012

Vanna- August 7th 1774

Dear Diary,
Oh, do I miss Jacob.  Sure, I miss Robert also, but Jacob so much more.  My best friend is out on the ocean somewhere.  Somewhere on the ocean.  Kat thinks she is funny when she says, "At least he is on the ocean and not in it!", but I do not find that humorous at all.  I miss him all too dearly.
Father came to visit us last week and gave us all gifts.  He is very lonely now, and Claire and I are very worried about him.  He gave us all a new pinner cap, along with a little trinket.  I got a porcelain doll, the length of my arm.  All of our pinner caps have different colored ribbons. Mine has a green one, to match a new dress Grandmother bought me.  A boy down the street name Lawrence Miller told me it goes very well with my eyes.
Lawrence Miller is very funny.  His never-ending pranks and jokes are annoying to some people, but not I.  I think they are entertaining.  He winks at me whenever he gets a chance, and sometimes I wink right back.  Kat told me one day on the way home from a trip to the general store, "That Lawrence Miller has got some interest in you, Evangeline Hillman.  You'd better watch out, or else he might sweep you right off your feet!"  I laughed that right off, because there's no chance.  Not at all!
Back to Father.  I have no idea where he came up with the money for all those nice gifts for my sisters and I.  I didn't dare ask, but I was worried about it.  I overheard him talking to Grandmother and Grandfather late in the night.  He said something about 'the printing office' and a 'newspaper'.  He also said 'it's hard work'.  I have no idea what's going on.  If Father had gotten a new job, wouldn't he tell us?
Remember about our new tutor, Tatiana?  She came back today.  Father got to see her before he left.  He acted kind of funny when Grandfather introduced them.  Kind of the same way Lawrence looks at me.  And Tatiana looked at him the same way, right back!  Later Kat asked Tatiana if she's married.  Her answer was no, but I hope Kat isn't brewing anything in her rotten head!  Father is NOT getting remarried!


No comments:

Post a Comment