Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Claire- May 1, 1774

Dear Diary,

Ah! The days have been so busy of late! Now the garden must be tended to and I have hardly had any time to spare for the spring cleaning. So much has happened since I last wrote. Oh, where shall I ever begin?

The other day when Jacob was scolded for putting salt inside of my tea, I knew something must be wrong. Vanna blushed scarlet red, but I suppose Robert didn't notice for he gave Jacob what he deemed Father would approve of as a just punishment. I considered it queer yet kept my suspicions of Vanna inside. However, something was wrong. Vanna was quiet all day. She didn't laugh or smile when Mercy came by to lunch. She wasn't her same jovial self with Kat and me and she didn't put on any of her dear, silly little tricks. When her harpsichord tutor arrived at three hours past noon, he criticized her mercilessly. At that she quite broke down into tears. This was so entirely unlike our Vanna that I was considerably worried. On Sunday her behavior continued. She stared absently during Father's Bible lesson where she was usually so engaged. She seemed quite unhappy. That night, Kat fell asleep instantly. I, however, was kept awake by a delicious story that I was thinking of. It was of a heroic maiden whose love had gone to fight in the Crusades. Oh it was just lovely. As a laid beneath the warm bedcovers, I realized that Vanna was tossing beside me. I rolled over in bed. "Vanna! Vanna," I whispered in the stillness. "Yes?" She replied in a barely audible voice. "You poured the salt in my not Jacob?" She fairly burst into tears. "Yes," she sobbed. "And oh, Claire! I feel so sorry! To think that I let Jacob take the punishment when really I deserve the blame! I shan't never, no never again shall I play such foolish tricks. But oh! Claire, what ever shall I do?" She sounded plain miserable. I didn't know what to say, but I thought for a minute and then answered, "Vanna, you must tell Father and Robert what you have done, and redeem Jacob from his day of weeding tomorrow. Then you must ask Jacob for forgiveness." 
"Oh, I can't do that! Then, Robert will never have an ounce of love for  me and dear Father will be displeased to!" She sighed. "Will you stand outside the door, Claire, when I do it?" I agreed. The next morning Vanna announced at breakfast that she wished to speak to Father and Robert before they both left for work in the store. I stood outside the library door while she confessed it all. Father kindly forgave her and said that he would not allow Jacob to receive any kind of a punishment. She looked surprised when he said that she might go. "Aren't you going to punish me?" she asked. 
"No," He replied "I can see that your guilt has made you miserable enough already." I don't think Robert was to happy about that. Maybe he will someday realize that he must show some mercy to us all. Vanna is alright now. She and Jacob have made amends. She has begun to joke again. Although, it causes us some discomfort for a time I think we all love her dearly for it.

Kat has fallen in love with a horse at the auction. She is begging Father for it, but he insists that no daughter of his shall be so unladylike. In a way I wish she could get one, for she is beside herself because of it. 
Oh! Such a nightmare has befallen me! Father unexpectedly invited his most wealthy customers to supper last night. Suddenly, the Weatherfords appeared at our doorstep, and I had nothing fine prepared. In my foolish haste, I undercooked the chicken. Mrs. Weatherford was laid up today with a horridly upset stomach for she gorged down three helpings in a most unladylike fashion. Now Father fears he shall lose their business. Oh, how shall I ever live this down! Even so, she! Three large helpings!

No comments:

Post a Comment